KKSC Board Meeting Minutes, for Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2010
KKSC meeting called to order at 6:10 p.m. In attendance were Swan Bender, Steve Work, Peter Longwood, Tom Pulver, Shane Kelling, Barbara Vinna, Dave Zagelow, Heidi Jacoby, Stanley Harris, Jake Bobst, Mike Jones, Erika Kelling and Dan Bergman.
Introduction/Kick off for 2010-11 Season
Round table discussion to get consensus on way we run club & reasons for choosing to be involved. Discussed mission statement of KKSC and importance of operating by consensus.
Jake – Mt. Baker Report
Jake offered to ask instructors to help with upcoming swap, as well as midweek training if need is there. Discussed needs for midweek program – consider liability issues (i.e. kids are not supposed to be setting gates), costs involved, availability of coaches. Kids get quality training as they experience better terrain, less crowded conditons. Jake will work on getting information out on midweek program earlier this year.
Question about where training occurs – is there a better place? Jake indicated there are some options for midweek program but not on weekends. Lower North is main place they can groom for race team. Tom thinks kids get good training despite runs being short, crowded and rutted. Tom and Jake have seen some progress in mountain closing off training areas, which was allowed for the first time last year. Tom pointed out Baker is limited on race training terrain compared with other ski areas. His goal is not to make kids perpetual gate crashers, but great skiers and good role models. This season, Tom wants to break up big kids and little kids so they get training runs suited to them.
Tom reported we lost quite a few coaches from last year. Had huge group of kids last year, with younger groups boosted by age change implemented by ski area with Komo Kids. Last year we had 14 coaches, and Tom would like to stay with same amount but with number of kids back to 60’s. We’ll see what Jake and mountain come up with for changes in Komo Kids and race team. Logistics on age and who should be in which program needs to be worked out.
PNSA has new Director of Alpine which is Ryan Shorter from Mission Ridge. Spring meeting for PNSA was here in Bellingham. PNSA sets and changes rules for racing. Steve reported about a long running debate about scoring for the J3 qualifiers, transitioning kids from age-based classes to ability-based classes. PNSA scores on runs, rewarding terrific single runs (TRS system). Some hate it, do not think it is ski racing, as teaches different skills than needed. TRS will likely be gone at next convention per Tom.
Swan requested some changes be made to meeting minutes of June 1, 2010, with regards to the Treasurer’s Report. Barbara will amend minutes as requested to correct errors. Minutes should also reflect who wrote them.
Steve advised that the board must have new secretary as the last one resigned in May. Dan nominated Barbara Vinna as secretary, seconded, motion carried unanimously. We’ll consider this retroactive to June 30, 2010, for state and IRS filing purposes. Steve noted Barbara has been acting as secretary since Katie resigned in May.
Steve asked if members wish to nominate someone to serve as chair for scholarship program committee. Tom nominated Peter Longwood, motion carried unanimously.
Heidi previously agreed to be signer on checking account. She and Steve will go to People’s Bank to get this done.
Dan agreed to chair swap. This will entail overseeing each section, ensuring that they have co-chair, and finding a volunteer coordinator to organize volunteers for each section. The co-chair would be point man and follow-up. Swan offered to do the advertising.
Swan distributed the balance sheet for year as of June 30, 2010, and the Profit and Loss sheet for July 2009 through June 2010. Current account is $135 less due to charge for Shane’s annual PNSA card dues. Paypal funds from Raven’s Edge remain in coach’s account and need to transfer half to business checking account. Funds will cover PNSA/USSA annual coach’s cards and swap expenses.
Under Fixed Assets, the trailer we bought for $4000 is listed and there is no cumulative depreciation for it, but will be. The accountant will give depreciation for IRS standards. Jackets depreciated, as did the shelving at $14 per year. Swan will ask accountant about this as amount seems low. Depreciations will change once they are done for end-of-year closing of books as of June 30th. Under payroll, we do not pay federal unemployment because we are nonprofit, so we got a return on checks we did pay on this.
Ski swap earned $87,949.85, lots on credit cards. Visa charged 2.5%. Charge back fee $25, we had no charge backs. Swan reminded us we talked about getting a 2nd terminal for swap. However, we have just one phone line so it might not be worthwhile, and wireless we know would cost too much money.
Swan will proceed in purchasing a gift for Heather for coaching Golden Rose. Swan has found place to purchase gift certificate for massage, an idea some of the kids came up with.
For future meetings, Swan suggested changing to Wed. nights due to Shane being unavailable Thursdays. In Oct., we will meet on Wed., Oct. 6th, at Banner Bank. Swan will check if we can meet at Co-op on Nov. 3rd and Dec. 1st.
Steve asked if there are any open issues from scholarships last season. Swan received letters from all but one recipient. Board members are welcome to read letters with names blanked out for privacy. Steve will pass all letters on to Peter.
Discussed swap details. Swan said there was established budget in past for advertising. This year we are not asking mountain do posters. Swan contacted Copy Source who offer low-ball estimate. Swan will find new pictures for poster and try to get posters done in time for 542 race on Sept. 11 and 12 so participants will see ad.
Discussed advertising. Already ad in Adventures Northwest with press release that was sent around. Dave recommended neighborhood-kids.com for advertising to families. Look at where advertised in past, use as many press releases as possible. Dave will start Facebook page for the swap. There is option to hire someone to distribute posters. Steve will email families to get volunteer base for swap before Oct. meeting.
We need new tickets for swap. Shane suggested we pare down information on tickets, go with fewer entry blanks. We need separate colors for different vendors to help with sorting at end. Need to ensure verbiage on ticket bottom allows for flexibility for days since we do not know if swap will end will Sat. or Sun. Shane and Erika will follow up on ordering tickets.
Discussed having concessions. Shane will talk with hotdog concessionaire to see if he’s interested.
Dan and Steve will figure out positions for swap. Peter will get sizing chart for boots. Volunteer meeting after next board meeting will be held before swap. Early drop-off might be good since we cannot hold a drop-off at Mt. Baker Theatre this year. Shane will talk with Mt. Baker office to see if we can offer early drop-off there on Sat., Oct. 9.
Erika said there were a lot of price changes on tickets last year. Need to use specific color of pen. Make new ticket for any changes and look up tickets that have # scratched out. This should be on list of items to tell volunteers. Section meeting for volunteers should be held prior to day of swap.
Meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
Submitted by Barbara Vinna, Secretary
Sept. 6, 2010