KKSC Board Meeting Minutes
June 1, 2010
KKSC meeting called to order at 6:00 p.m. In attendance were Swan Bender, Peter Longwood, Lori Bussani, Steve Work, Tom Pulver, Shane Kelling, and Barbara Vinna.
Swan presented the Balance Sheet as of 6/1/10 and Profit & Loss from 7/1/09 through 6/1/10. Currently there is $3700 in business checking account after paying insurance bill. Steve suggested giving Swan online “read only” access to the People’s accounts. At this point the only access Swan has to update the accounts is through the paper statements mailed monthly. Steve will see if this is possible. Insurance is prepaid at $250/month. We still have $835 in outstanding bills for Buddy Werner race. Steve will make calls to parents to try to collect payments on these bills. Nothing has been billed yet for Golden Rose race last weekend.
The away coaching fee noted on Profit & Loss is for 15 races and 38 race team members, including 5 scholarships, for total of $8200. Under advertising, expenses comprise of money spent gifting graphic artist for logo, printing 73 race team jackets, and coaches jackets. Anything race team logo goes on is race team advertising. Under Misc. Expenses, t-shirts (6407) should be considered as advertising. Race team jackets printing, (6401), were put under advertising. In future, Swan will do income and expenses per event so Profit & Loss will not be so scattered.
Steve will write a formal thank you to Meadows Race Team for our athlete’s recent participation in the Golden Rose race, which Tom will also sign. Swan will do a personal gift for Heather for helping our team members. Steve suggested billing it to 7 kids for 2 days as usual.
Raven’s Edge Wrapup
The consensus was it’s too late to debrief on this event. Brainstorming on next year’s preparations resulted in agreement to try to get information from the main people involved on how race could be improved. Steve will contact them. Agreed it would be best to have written descriptions of jobs for race. Have recap after race to record new ideas for the next year. For example, would be better if we took over doing posters ourselves instead of the mountain doing them for us. Tom pointed out the race has been pretty much status quo past 20 years, but now we are in 2nd year of doing a slalom race which has changed things a little. Advertising should start earlier. Liability forms might need some changes.
A discussion ensued about the reason for race being done later in season. Coaches and athletes are not all available weekends prior to the race due to away races. Running race early in year would risk cancellation due to heavy snows. It’s a good way to end the season in spring weather with a party.
Swan passed out letter sent to scholarship recipients which was approved. This letter is required by IRS. We must make an effort to get a letter from the recipients confirming they received a scholarship from KKSC and that they used it according to our agreement. Our letter is sent to them requesting this confirmation letter in response.
Document put together by Peter, Katie, and Swan, regarding scholarship procedures and criteria was handed out, with a few changes made. Swan will keep one file for all recipients for 2009/10 scholarships. Files can be put in storage space in trailer. A scholarship committee will be appointed in fall, & they will apply new set of procedures and criteria.
Shane has made effort to collect all race team jackets, but some are still not turned in. Some brainstorming on how to deal with jacket issue – expense of new jackets, need for new jackets (only 75 of Helly Hansen jackets and a few old team jackets may not be enough), and how to get jackets returned promptly. Discussed idea of selling jackets to team members. Concern raised that jackets could end up in general public hands. Should we continue using jackets as carrots to sign up for race team? For now will continue with current way of doing things, & Shane can order more if needed at start of season. Discussed refundable deposit on jackets, or $25 lease fee. Tom thinks mountain might limit number of race team participants next year, so we might end up having enough jackets.
IRS filing plan
Do not have to file 940 per IRS. Kelly Heggem was hired as our accountant last year & we will do the same this year.
Meet and Greet
Deposit for Meet and Greet will come this Friday per Tom. He received check for $500 from PNSA for the event. The block of 25 rooms has been filled.
Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m. Next meeting will be held on Sept. 3rd, with location to be decided. Meetings held first Thursday of every month, September through June.